Local Lockdowns Business Support Program
It was announced yesterday that 10 postcodes across Melbourne will be going into Stage-3 lockdown from 11:59pm Wednesday 1 July until at least 29 July 2020. Residents of the following postcodes will not be permitted to leave their house except for essential purposes: 3012, 3021, 3032, 3038, 3042, 3046, 3047, 3055, 3060, 3064.
The government has identified that this will directly impact businesses operating in those areas, as gyms are required to re-close, restaurants are forced back to takeaway-only and other businesses will need to shut completely once more. As such, they have introduced the Local Lockdowns Business Support Program, which involves giving one-off $5,000 grants to local businesses affected by the return to Stage 3 restrictions.
There are several conditions for eligibility. Businesses can apply if they:
- are operating in a postcode that his affected by the return to Stage 3 restrictions (not necessarily their registered address); and
- are registered for JobKeeper and attest that their trading has been impacted by the return to Stage 3 restricitons; and
- are an employing business; and
- are currently registered to pay GST; and
- have a payroll of less than $3 million per annum; and
- hold an Australian Business Number (ABN) and have held that ABN at 16 March 2020 (date of the State of Emergency declaration); and
- have been engaged in carrying out the operation of the business in Victoria on 16 March 2020.
Businesses can still receive this $5,000 grant even if they have already received a $10,000 Business Support Fund grant or payroll tax refund or waiver.
How to Apply
Business Victoria currently has a form
on their website
where you can "register your interest" to apply for this grant.
Applications are still yet to officially open, as of 10:00am Wednesday 1 July 2020.
As with all government stimulus packages, please consult with your tax agent before applying!
We understand this may directly impact some of your lives and your businesses. Please reach out if you wish to talk to us about any concerns or questions regarding this impact - financial or otherwise.
We also encourage you to speak with your own staff and clients where applicable to facilitate this latest change to lockdown.